Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lunch notes

Loss of limb is not a topic usually discussed at business lunches, at least for me. That all changed yesterday afternoon.

I was out to lunch with a few vendors, one of whom was missing one of his fingers. Now, normally I would just avoid the subject entirely as not to make anyone uncomfortable. However, after a few martinis the subject was brought up (by him) and the following situation ensued.

Vendor: "Did anyone ever tell you how I lost my finger?"
Me: "Umm. No..."
Vendor: "Ok! I'm going to give you 3 scenarios and you have to pick which one really happened."
Me: "Ok, now you've got my attention!"

He proceeded to tell me 3 stories, all which were a little far fetched, but all feasible. Stories that made me wonder if all 3 could possibly be true because all 3 were so completely wonderful and well told that they painted hilarious pictures in my head and made me almost spew white wine out my nose (on several occasions).

After I had guessed (incorrectly), and ordered another glass of wine the table seemed to be abuzz with tales of other strange ways people have lost fingers, toes, etc. It was by far the oddest and entertaining lunch conversation that I've had in awhile.

Note to self: log that day away and reference whenever I complain about my job.

No comments:

Backtrack