Sunday, January 25, 2009

Taking a break

I have been completely lax in updating lately. The last month and change has been a complete upheavel in my life and I'm just now getting my bearings back.

I was laid off in December. Yet another victim of this shit economy. I guess the only good thing about it was I saw it coming and had already put a contingency plan in place. So, in a matter of weeks I put my apartment up for rent, filed for unemployment, checked out mentally to enjoy the holidays, packed up my life and moved back home with mom and dad. Perhaps with my head a little lower, but with the knowledge that it's only temporary and will help me pay off the small amount of debt I have in order to start over fresh.

As for a new job, I've been a bit apathetic towards my search. I would like to try my hand at living somewhere else, and since moving is expensive, it can't hurt to save up a little before I make my next move. Boston, Chicago, San Diego...the list keeps growing. The negative temps in the mitten make California oh so appealing.

I'm also taking this time off to re-evaluate what I want to do in life. I majored in Advertising, and have loved working at a large agency. However, during my time there, I also realized what I am passionate about and have this time to really find something that is geared towards my interests. Sure, I could take a job tomorrow, knowing that I could do it well and make good money; but would I be happy? Right now I have the time to really search for something that is a good fit, and hopefully, something more stable. For now, I'm keeping my outlook positive and my networking skills on overdrive!

No comments:

Backtrack